Wednesday, July 18, 2012

The Shawshank Redemption

"In 1966, Andy Dufresne escaped from Shawshank prison. All they found of him was a muddy set of prison clothes, a bar of soap, and an old rock hammer, damn near worn down to the nub. I remember thinking it would take a man six hundred years to tunnel through the wall with it. Old Andy did it in less than twenty. Oh, Andy loved geology. I imagine it appealed to his meticulous nature. An ice age here, million years of mountain building there. Geology is the study of pressure and time. That's all it takes really, pressure, and time. That, and a big goddamn poster. Like I said, in prison a man will do most anything to keep his mind occupied. Turns out Andy's favorite hobby was totin' his wall out into the exercise yard, a handful at a time."
-Red

I'm not a fan of prison films coz hey I'm a girl. I would rather watch chick flicks or romance or whatever it is that could make me feel good. But I came across this movie and found it in the top spot of every "Top Ten Greatest Movies" list. It got me curious.


And so I watched it...
.
.
.
.
I have never imagined myself in the confines of prison a cell, much more living the rest of my life in there. Andy Dufresne (doofrain) was convicted of murdering his wife and her lover. He will serve two life sentences. And then, Andy did what any convict did. He followed rules. He had a routine. He was a prisoner. He made friends. He kept himself busy. He did so because he believed that he was innocent and in fact he is.

I almost forgot that I'm watching a movie. I saw how a man brought hope to other people. I saw the true meaning of friendship. I saw redemption. It was simple yet the effect was extraordinary. It was beautifully written, beautifully presented and beautifully told. This is the type of film that needs no special effects. It's just people talking, having liberal conversations about life. After all, it didn't won an Oscar. This is beyond that, beyond a movie. This is something much more to a simple cinematic film. This has a story; a good one, a deep one. This is a film that will forever be etched in the minds and hearts of everyone who watched it and who will watch it in the future. It will forever give hope. And to anyone who will ask me what's a good movie, I'll always tell you to watch The Shawshank Redemption.



** The Shawshank Redemption is a 1994 American drama film written and directed byFrank Darabont and starring Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman.

No comments:

Post a Comment